Difference between Website and Web Application
Difference between Website and Web Application (Web App)
A website is a group of globally accessible, interlinked web pages which have a single domain name. It can be developed and maintained by an individual, business or organization. The website aims to serve a variety of purposes. Example: Blogs.
A website is hosted on a single or multiple web server. It is accessible via a network like the Internet or a private local area network via IP address.
In this tutorial, you will learn,
- What is Website?
- What is Web Application?
- Why you need a Website?
- Why you need Web Application?
- Characteristics Of Website
- Characteristics Of Web Application
- Web Application vs. Web site
- Disadvantages of Website
- Disadvantages of Web Application
Web Applications came to prominence with the advent of Software as a Service (SaaS) movement.
Here, are prime reasons why you need a website:
- An effective method to showcase your products and services
- Developing a site helps you to create your social proof
- Helps you in branding your business
- Helps you to achieve your business goals
- Allows you to increase your customer support
Web applications are more popular because of the following reasons:
- Compared to desktop applications, web applications are easier to maintain by as they use the same code in the entire application. There are no compatibility issues.
- Web applications can be used on any platform: Windows, Linux, Mac… as they all support modern browsers.
- Mobile App store approval not required in web applications.
- Released any time and in any form. No need to remind users to update their applications.
- You can access these web applications 24 hours of the day and 365 days a year from any PC.
- You can either make use of the computer or your mobile device to access the required data.
- Web applications are a cost-effective option for any organization. Seat Licenses for Desktop software are expensive where SasS, are generally, pay as you go.
- Web-Based Apps are Internet-enabled apps that are accessed through the mobile’s web browser. Therefore, you don’t require to download or install them.
- Quality and relevant Web Content is which richly displayed.
- User-friendly navigation and web design
- Can be easily searched using search engines like Google.
- Cloud-hosted and highly scalable
- Mostly Cross-platform
- Modular and loosely coupled
- It is easily tested with automated tests.
Below given are the prime difference between web application and web site:
|Created for||A web application is designed for interaction with the end user||A website mostly consists of static content. It is publicly accessible to all the visitors.|
|User interaction||In a web application, the user not only read the page content but also manipulate the restricted data.||A website provides visual & text content which user can view and read, but not affect it ‘s functioning.|
|Authentication||Web applications need authentication, as they offer a much broader scope of options than websites.||Authentication is not obligatory for informational websites. The user may ask to register to get a regular update or to access additional options. This features not available for the unregistered website visitors.|
|Task and Complexity||Web application functions are quite higher and complex compared to a website.||The website displays the collected data and information on a specific page.|
|Type of software||The web application development is part of the website. It is itself not a complete website.||The website is a complete product, which you access with the help of your browser.|
|Compilation||The site must be precompiled before deployment||The site doesn’t need to be pre-compiled|
|Deployment||All changes require the entire project to be re-compiled and deployed.||Small changes never require a full re-compilation and deployment. You just need to update the HTML code.|
- A website can crash which is not good for anyone. It is the biggest disadvantage for your business
- Contact form published on your website may invite lots of unwanted spam e-mails.
- The information on any website might be unreliable if it is not updated regularly.
- Security is not guaranteed, so it is vulnerable for unauthorized access.
- The web app may not support multiple browsers with equal precedence.
- The web application is built explicitly for a certain operating system, so it is difficult to discover from the app store.
- Limited scope to access the device’s features.
- A website is a group of globally accessible, interlinked web pages which have a single domain name.
- A web application is a software or program which is accessible using any web browser.
- Developing your website helps you in branding your business.
- App store approval not required in web applications
- Quality and relevant Web Content are the most important characteristics of a good web site.
- Cloud-hosted and highly scalable are the most vital characteristics of a good web application.